GE Healthcare Technologies (GEHC)

GE Healthcare Technologies (GEHC) will be spun-off from General Electric Company (GE) on January 4, 2023.  Under the terms of the spin-off, GE shareholders will receive one share of GEHC for every three shares of GE that they own.  In total, GE shareholders will receive an 80.1% equity stake in GEHC.  GE will retain the remaining 19.9% interest, which it plans to divest over time.

GEHC is a global medical equipment and services company with leading market positions in imaging, ultrasound, patient care systems and pharmaceutical diagnostics.  With its focus on precision health, which utilizes the patient’s unique healthcare data to deliver targeted therapies, GEHC aims to deliver better outcomes for patients and improved productivity and efficiency for healthcare providers.  It also generates $1 billion annually across all business units from digital solutions, including artificial intelligence.

At its recent Investor Day, the company established targets of mid-single digit revenue growth and an increase in segment adjusted EBIT margins from the mid-teens to 20% by 2025.  It did not outline the trajectory of the profit improvement, however.  2023 may be a reset year, as GEHC gets its bearings as an independent company, probably with a step up in its restructuring program, and as it copes with the lingering headwinds of supply chain issues, inflation and currency.  Its healthcare provider customers are likewise coping with labor shortages, inflation and patient volumes that remain below pre-pandemic levels.

My projections anticipate 2023 GAAP earnings of $3.09 per share and non-GAAP EPS of $3.57.  For 2024, I forecast GAAP EPS of $3.47 and non-GAAP EPS of 3.95.

At today’s (12/23) when-issued price of $57.50, GEHC has an equity market cap of $26.2 billion and its stock is valued at 18.6 times projected 2023 non-GAAP EPS, below the peer group average of nearly 22 times.  With only modest growth projected for 2024, I am establishing a price target of $67, which equates to 17 times projected 2024 non-GAAP EPS of $3.95, still well below peers.  The PT represents a total potential return of 16.5%, excluding the possibility that GEHC will initiate a dividend.  If GEHC succeeds in improving its EBIT margins, the potential upside is far greater (from higher earnings and an expansion in its valuation multiple).

This is a summary of my report on GE Healthcare Technologies, Inc. (GEHC). To obtain a copy of the full report, please reach out to me using the contact information provided below.

December 29, 2022

Stephen P. Percoco
Lark Research
839 Dewitt Street
Linden, New Jersey 07036
(908) 975-0250

© 2015-2024 by Stephen P. Percoco, Lark Research.   All rights reserved.

This blog post (as with all posts on this website) represents the opinion of Lark Research based upon its own independent research and supporting information obtained from various sources. Although Lark Research believes these sources to be reliable, it has not independently confirmed their accuracy. Consequently, this blog post may contain errors and omissions. Furthermore, this blog post is a summary of a recent report published on this subject and that report provides a more complete discussion and assessment of the risks and opportunities of any investment securities discussed herein. No representation or warranty is expressed or implied by the publication of this blog post. This blog post is for informational purposes only and shall not be construed as investment advice that meets the specific needs of any investor. Investors should, in consultation with their financial advisers, determine the suitability of the post’s recommendations, if any, to their own specific circumstances. Lark Research is not registered as an investment adviser with the Securities and Exchange Commission, pursuant to exemptions provided in the Investment Company Act of 1940. This blog post remains the property of Lark Research and may not be reproduced, copied or similarly disseminated, in whole or in part, without its prior written consent.

This entry was posted in GE, GEHC, Health Care and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.